Motivated in part by the protagonist in the movie "V for Vendetta", supporters of republican presidential candidate Ron Paul showed their overwhelming support for the candidate on November 5th, 'Guy Fawkes Day'. In the movie the character 'V' is out for revolution against his oppressive government. His mantra of the popular children's rhyme "Remember, remember the 5th of November" resonated so well with the people that his revolution was carried out.
Seeking to go viral on the Internet, the creators of www.thisnovember5th.com used this ideal to generate an enormous grass roots effort in drumming up donations to the Ron Paul campaign. At the end of the day www.ronpaul2008.com had collected over 4.3 million dollars in donations.
A Brief Overview of Congressman Paul's Record (according to the official Ron Paul website):
- He has never voted to raise taxes.
- He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
- He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
- He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
- He has never taken a government-paid junket.
- He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.
- He voted against the Patriot Act.
- He voted against regulating the Internet.
- He voted against the Iraq war and is for immediate troop withdrawal.
- He aims to eliminate the IRS and keep the money in YOUR pocket He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program. He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.